The outlook for the Cdn$3.5-billion Massey Bridge P3 project in Vancouver has become uncertain with the political turmoil in British Columbia. The governing Liberal Party, which backs the project, will probably be replaced by the New Democratic Party (NDP), backed by the Green Party, after the legislature resumes.
The bridge project is not well supported politically in Vancouver. Only one local mayor backs it, with all the others saying there are higher transit priorities. Both the NDP and Greens have said they would work with the Vancouver mayor’s council.
But the politics are not completely clear. The Liberals won 43 seats in the May 9 election to 41 for the NDP and three for the Greens. The latter two parties announced an accord May 30 that will see the Greens back the NDP in confidence votes in the legislature, but leave the Greens free to criticize the NDP. Liberal Leader Christy Clark said she will try and remain as premier but once defeated in the legislature – which all parties expect – the NDP would usually have a chance to form a government.
Meanwhile, there has been talk that one of the three consortiums shortlisted for the project has lost a key member, but neither government nor industry sources would comment.
Download Sample Issue
Latest Industry News
- Financial Close on I-66 Raises the Bar on Transport P3s
- Careful: Public Benefits Are Vulnerable to Change
- VDOT Raises The Bar on P3 Procurements
- Trump’s DOT Flops on Its First TIFIA P3 Loan
- Foreign Bidders Dominate Alabama I-10 Demand Risk P3
- Build America Bureau Seeks T&R Guidelines
- Arup to Pay $100m Damages for “Absurd” Forecast on Brisbane Toll Tunnels
- Lock In Equity
- The (Mis)Use of Econometric Models in Traffic Forecasting: A Discussion Pape
- The Revival of Revenue-Risk Highway P3s, by Robert W. Poole, Jr.,
- MBTA Signs $723m Automated Fare Collection P3
- Reviving A Failed Transit Project
- Denver I-70 P3 Headed to Financial Close
- Academic Perspectives on P3s
- Brazil’s Mato Grosso P3s Lure Commodity Traders
- Argentina Rolls Out Infra P3 Plan
- Sacyr / Finic Finance Major Greenfield Road in Italy
- P3 League Table Charts
- Chart: World’s Top Transportation Developers 2017
- Chart: Global P3 Developers Ranked On Invested Capital
- Chart: Global Transportation Market Hits the Doldrums in 2017
- Chart: Top Design-Builders Driving U.S. P3 Success
- Chart: A Close Look at the U.S. Transportation P3 Market 1993-2017
- Chart: Top Transportation Developers in the U.S.
- Chart: Design-Build Performance Shines Under U.S. P3 Model